When meditating, it’s often advised that you adopt a comfortable position.
However, many people have asked what exactly is a 'comfortable position'.
Here are 5 tips in getting that perfect meditation posture to achieve better focus and relaxation.
1) Overall Positioning: There are many ways to position yourself - lotus pose, half-lotus, cross-legged, kneeling, sitting on a chair, and even lying down. Try them all out and experiment which works best for you. If you're adopting a position on the floor, you may want to use a small cushion to make yourself more comfortable.
One important aspect while finding a position is to have a balance between being relaxed and dozing off. For example, if you want to lie down, perhaps you could put your feet flat on the floor with the knees up to have the awareness of being awake.
2) Back Positioning: Make sure you elongate your spine in whatever position you're in. This helps to promote blood circulation throughout your body.
3) Hand Positioning: The most natural way would be to simply put your hands on your thighs or knees (whichever is most comfortable), with the palm facing down. This helps to ease the flow of energy through the body.
Alternatively, you can try resting your hands, one on top of the other, at the navel. Your thumbs should be lightly touching each other. This is a better hand placement if you are lying down, as this creates more warmth and energy throughout your body, keeping you awake.
4) Shoulder Positioning: Pull your shoulders back, pushing your chest out slightly. Even so, make sure your shoulders are relaxed and free of tension.
5) Head Positioning: Look straight ahead, and then tilt your head down slightly. You don't want to look too far down that you obstruct your breathing, but also not too high up that you tire yourself.
Put your tongue at the roof of your mouth and relax your jaw.
At the end of the day, the best positioning is one that's gives you better relaxation and focus in your meditation. Try out different ways and see which works best for you!
Create your own unique website with customizable templates.